THE GUN FORUM

THE GUN FORUM

Exclusively for Serious Gun-Enthusiasts and Outdoorsmen

It is currently Wed Feb 21, 2018 4:11 am

All times are UTC + 5 hours

Post subject: GAMO SOCOM TACTICAL .177 > Review & Range Report

Marksman

We had a couple of bunnies nibbling on the foliage in the back yard over summer. We're not allowed to discharge firearms in residential areas, so needing no further excuse I went to the local Outdoor Supply store and bought a Gamo SOCOM Tactical air rifle in .177 as a scoped package for NZ$599 (paid approx US$450).

Here is the page relating to this rifle from the Gamo website: http://www.gamousa.com/product.aspx?product=Socom%20Tactical&productID=316 (US$349)

Mine does not have the laser/scope setup, instead mine came with a fixed 4x32 scope with Adjustable Objective. As mentioned in my ruger 10/22 range review an AO scope at very short distances appears to be not just a good idea but mandatory for maximising accuracy, or parallax issues will open your groups up.

The specs from the Gamo website as as follows:

MECHANISM
    -Velocity: 1200 feet per second (fps) with PBA®, 1000 fps with Lead
    -Single Shot
    -Break Barrel: Single Cocking System, Spring piston
    -Automatic Cocking Safety system
    -Manual Trigger safety
    -Barrel: Fluted Polymer Bull barrel
    -Non-removable noise dampener (with up to 52% reduction)
    -Cocking Effort: 30 lbs
    -Trigger: Second Stage adjustable
    -Manual Safety

STOCK
    -Stock: Tough all-weather synthetic stock
    -Cheekpiece: Adjustable cheek piece for comfortable shooting
    -Butt Plate: Ventilated rubber pad for recoil absorption

SIGHTS
    -Grooved receiver to accommodate an airgun scope

GRIP
    -Non slip material on all gripping parts

SPECIFICATIONS
    -Weight: 7.2lbs
    -Length: 46"
    -Barrel Length: 18"
    -Spring piston break barrel air rifle
    -Caliber: .177
    -Trigger Pull: 3.74 lbs
    -Cocking effort:30 lbs

I really like the adjustable cheek piece riser, which after tweaking and adjusting of the scope eye relief and cheek riser height got me to a very comfortable shooting position for scope use.

The sound dampener does indeed work, with the retort much reduced compared to my friends non-dampened rifle. I was very surprised and pleased with what I thought might turn out to just be a gimic.

I hadn't shot a high powered air rifle before and I was surprised how much recoil there was. I would rate it similar to a .22LR based on the kick I was getting off the sand bag, perhaps even more "violent" than a .22LR. Certainly a wierd sensation compared to a firearm.

I bought a packet of 100 Gamo target sheets for NZ$12.95 and set four of them up at 15 metres.

Here is the ammo I used, shooting 5 five shot groups with each ammo type, off a sand bag off a small table. I wasn't able to use our full sized shooting bench and a full set of sand bags as someone else was sighting in their 7mm08 on it, so accuracy isn't quite as good as I could get, but is still very indicative of ammo performance in this rifle.

GAMO PRO MAGNUM PENETRATION

Worst accuracy of the three ammo types, and I did notice the inconsistent fit in the chamber compared to the other two ammo types, some of these pellets were very loose to insert, and I wonder if as a result the velocity was lower hence the couple of pellets that shot low on the target?

Having said that, I did hit and kill one of the back yard invading rabbits at 25 metres with one of these pellets, it was not an instant death with the bunny running about 15 metres before expiring.

WINCHESTER AP1775

Very rounded nose pellet with consistent fit to chamber. Shot to point of aim quite nicely and I thought the most accurate of the three until I measured the targets. The Daisy pellets ended up shooting lower, but grouped tighter, so Winchester comes in at 2nd place for group size.

DAISY HUNTING/KILWELL

Pointed projectile with good fit to chamber also. Shot the tightest groups of the three pellets tested, although shot lower than point of aim compared to Winchester which shot dead on.

CONCLUSION

All ammo was NZ$10.00 per box of 500 rounds, so cost was not a contributing factor to which pellets to buy.

Having said that only 3 types of pellet were available for purchase locally in my small home town, and I would like to to test with a lot more variety of pellets over time. I will update this topic with the results of future testing.

Kind regards,
Mark

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: GAMO SOCOM TACTICAL .177 > Review & Range Report

WOW! Bravo markypoos, really enjoyed reading the review and range report. This indeed is a very accurate rifle. And I am really amazed at the way the pellets make groups. While consistency in groups is related to the fitting of pellet in the chamber, but why do the Daisy pellets shoot a little low? That I could not understand. Maybe it is because of the rounded shape vs pointed heads? Anyways a beautiful and very informative post. Oh and by the way I would suggest you hit the bunny in the head next time, that way it will die a less painful death :-)

Profile E-mail  

TGF Expert Panel

Great looking piece. A nice and practical review. Good work, and best of luck for the backyard business.. :D

(Great Boxer Muhammad Ali).

Master at Arms

An excellent review Mark and SOCOM sure looks like a nice air rifle. Was it available in .22 cal also? I wonder if .177 would be good enough for rabbits in your backyard :?

markypoos wrote:
Mine does not have the laser/scope setup, instead mine came with a fixed 4x32 scope with Adjustable Objective.

I think a scope would do just fine and most probably, you would never have the feeling that the effectiveness of your weapon has reduced because it didn't have a laser on it. Would remain few grams lighter also. :mrgreen:

markypoos wrote:
I hadn't shot a high powered air rifle before and I was surprised how much recoil there was. I would rate it similar to a .22LR based on the kick I was getting off the sand bag, perhaps even more "violent" than a .22LR. Certainly a wierd sensation compared to a firearm.

Springer air rifle have the most miserable recoil in my view, ie, in both directions, rearwards as well as forward. Rimfire and center fire rifles have a uni-directional recoil which is not much of a problem. The bi-directional recoil of springers is killing for the scopes and one needs to adjust the rings well or the zeroing will not stay after few shots. This aspect is a little more pronounced in Gamo air guns as they tend to be lighter in weight. Perhaps that is the reason spring air rifles from manufacturers like RWS, Beeman, Weihrauch are a little on the heavier side. Helps controlling the recoil. :)

six_shooter wrote:
And I am really amazed at the way the pellets make groups. While consistency in groups is related to the fitting of pellet in the chamber, but why do the Daisy pellets shoot a little low? That I could not understand. Maybe it is because of the rounded shape vs pointed heads? Anyways a beautiful and very informative post. Oh and by the way I would suggest you hit the bunny in the head next time, that way it will die a less painful death :-)

six_shooter bro, there are numerous factors due to which pallets of different types / weights will never have the same point of impact. Shape, weight, size, material, consistency in manufacturing (ie, all pallets should be exactly the same dimensions); all contribute towards achieving / not achieving stability / uniform velocities which in turn result in smaller / larger groups.

But this is not the only thing. Second and third factor, ie, the gun itself and the skill of the shooter is equally important. If the barrel rifling is not accurately done, the pressure generated by the spring piston is not uniform, trigger is not good, sights are not good / scope is not holding its zeroing, gun will never make a small group no matter how well made the pallets.

And lastly, if the shooter's skills are not upto the mark, gun and ammo can not help much :mrgreen:

Profile E-mail  

@ KBW, bro many thanks for the detailed info on subject. But in this case the groups are quite close I mean as small as an inch from 20 M. And specifically in this case the Daisy pellets are shooting a little low but in tight groups, which besides all other factors being same are different in terms of being pointed as against rounded (Winchester). Maybe this has got to do with the shape?

Profile E-mail  

Site Admin

Excellent review Mark. Very informative and to the point. Thanks for the effort.

Bolt actions speak louder than words

Sometimes adding 175 grains of boat-tailed diplomacy speeds up Peace Talks

Profile E-mail  

Excellent Review Mark!! With an equally informative Pellet Report! ;)

Profile E-mail  

Master at Arms

six_shooter wrote:
But in this case the groups are quite close I mean as small as an inch from 20 M. And specifically in this case the Daisy pellets are shooting a little low but in tight groups, which besides all other factors being same are different in terms of being pointed as against rounded (Winchester). Maybe this has got to do with the shape?

Yes, it could be because of difference in shape. Mark has not mentioned the weight of the pallets and the wind conditions, though from 15 M, it shouldn't make a hell of difference. However, it could be any one of them or a combination of the three. If the scope moved, ie, did not held its zero (due to any reason), it could be because of that also, IMHO. :)

Profile E-mail  

Site Admin

I would love to get my hands on a few tins/boxes of Daisy Hunting/Kilwell pellets.

Guys, Any info of their availability in .22 in our neck of the woods ?

Profile E-mail  

Marksman

There was no wind on the day.

And it does occur to me that the scope is attached to one part of the rifle, which is mechanically separated from the barrel by a hinge.

I would imagine that the barrel might not "lock up" in the same position perfectly every time, and hence make this setup less accurate than say if a long eye relief scout scope were mounted on top of the barrel itself.

Kind regards,
Mark

Profile E-mail  

Many thanks for the info KBW and Mark.
@ SA , I am planning to go to Neela Gumbad soon wil check from there and let you know about the Daily Hunting/Kilwell

Profile E-mail  

Master at Arms

markypoos wrote:
I would imagine that the barrel might not "lock up" in the same position perfectly every time, and hence make this setup less accurate than say if a long eye relief scout scope were mounted on top of the barrel itself.

Aha... this brings us to the old discussion of fixed barrel air rifles vs break barrel rifles. I agree, the reason mentioned by you is one of reasons that causes comparative inaccuracy in break barrels as compared to side lever or under lever springers.

regards :)

Profile E-mail  

Marksman

KBW wrote:
six_shooter wrote:
But in this case the groups are quite close I mean as small as an inch from 20 M. And specifically in this case the Daisy pellets are shooting a little low but in tight groups, which besides all other factors being same are different in terms of being pointed as against rounded (Winchester). Maybe this has got to do with the shape?

Yes, it could be because of difference in shape. Mark has not mentioned the weight of the pallets and the wind conditions, though from 15 M, it shouldn't make a hell of difference. However, it could be any one of them or a combination of the three. If the scope moved, ie, did not held its zero (due to any reason), it could be because of that also, IMHO. :)

Gamo Pro Magnum - 7.87gn (0.51g)
Winchester AP1775 - weight not on the packaging
Daisy Hunting - weight not on the packaging

Kind regards,
Mark

Profile E-mail  

Marksman

I headed down to the city today and while I was there I picked up 4 packets of pellets I couldn't get locally to add to this review:

Gamo Pro Match Competition - 7.56gn (0.49g)
    Gamo Expander - 7.56gn (0.49g)
    Gamo TS-10 Long Distance - 10.49gn (0.68g)
    AccuPell by Webley - weight not on the packet

Soon as the weather clears I'll be out at the range to shoot some groups through the Gamo SOCOM Tactical.

Kind regards,
Mark

Profile E-mail  

Site Admin

markypoos wrote:
I headed down to the city today and while I was there I picked up 4 packets of pellets I couldn't get locally to add to this review:

Soon as the weather clears I'll be out at the range to shoot some groups through the Gamo SOCOM Tactical.

Kind regards,
Mark

Waiting to see results of those as well Mark. Thanks in advance. :handgestures-salute:

Profile E-mail  

Master at Arms

markypoos wrote:

This looks like a nice purchase. Never seen Gamo Expander, TS-10 and AccuPell over here. Would be interesting to see the results. :)

Profile E-mail  

Marksman

Another quality review and detailed Markypoos. Well done.

Profile E-mail  

Eagerly waiting for the review and pics of your recent shopping!! :D

Profile E-mail  

Marksman

Winter is fast approaching here in NZ, so I haven't had a weekend where it hasn't been raining to get outside and test the new pellets, sorry.

Kind regards,
Mark

Profile E-mail  

Master at Arms

Are the winters over........Mark :mrgreen:

Profile E-mail  

Site Admin

Currently 6°C with 70% humidity :)

Profile E-mail  

Sniper

@Markypoos
Very nice review Sir. Thanks for sharing your experience did you shoot any more targets with this air rifle. How is this gun performing? \
regards

Profile E-mail