THE GUN FORUM

THE GUN FORUM

Exclusively for Serious Gun-Enthusiasts and Outdoorsmen

It is currently Wed Feb 21, 2018 4:03 am

All times are UTC + 5 hours

Post subject: RWS DIANA 35 > Review & Range Report

Master at Arms

REVIEW & RANGE REPORT – RWS DIANA 35

When I was a kid and used to see my elder cousins hunting doves, pigeons etc, I always thought there were two type of guns that can be used for hunting; the “ordinary ones” which some times hit and sometimes dont are called “Air Guns”, the “special ones” that down a dove most of the time and are known as “Diana”. This belief stayed with me for some time until I learned that Diana also falls in the air rifles category. More than three decades have passed and I can still see some of those “Diana” airguns with sons of my cousins and some of them shoot quite well even after about 35-40 years when I first saw them. Such is the performance and repute of air rifles manufactured by RWS. Simply put, whatever comes with name “Diana” means quality and performance.

Diana 35 is basically a hunting gun which can be used for plinking or casual target shooting. RWS probably no more manufactures Model 35, however, Model 34 which is currently being sold in the market is not much different from Model 35. Both are break barrel medium velocity guns which are ideal for small game hunting and plinking. Are slightly on the heavier side, but still good enough to be carried during a hunting trip. Off course it has the elegance and grandeur of its own, coupled with the pride of carrying a Diana.

BASIC SPECS
• Loudness: 3-Medium
• Weight: 7.50 lbs
• Barrel Length: 19.00"
• Overall Length: 45.00"
• Capacity: 1 pallet
• Cocking Effort: 30 lbs.
• Barrel: Rifled
• Muzzle Velocity: 800 ft/sec
• Front Sight: Post globe
• Rear Sight: Adjustable for windage and elevation
• Sight Radius: 18.5 inches
• Scopeable: 11mm dovetail
• Trigger adj.: Two-stage adjustable
• Apprx. Trigger Pull: 3.30 lbs
• Buttpad: None
• Suggested for: Small game hunting/target practice
• Action: Break barrel
• Powerplant: Spring-piston
• Safety: Automatic
• Length of Pull: 14 inches

Note: Most of the above data pertains of Diana 34, which is the new model of the same airgun and has been taken from Pyramid Air. com

REVIEW
RWS 35 is a break barrel spring piston air rifle. Cocking effort is around 30 lbs which may not be easy to operate by smaller kids. Weight is a little on the heavier side as compared to other guns available in the market like Gamo Shadow etc, however, it is manageable. Heavier weight of RWS 35 does compensate for the recoil which is always a problem in high powdered springers, ruining the scope zeroing and even scope itself.
ImageImage

The quality of craftsmanship and manufacturing is simply outstanding, as is the case with most RWS guns. Whenever I look at my Diana 35, I always wish my other rifles were also finished like that. I vividly recall the looks on SA's face when he saw this airgun for the first time; the kind of looks that we gun enthusiasts are quite familiar with :mrgreen: Do you remember, SA!!
The stocks is montecarlo style walnut with raised cheek rest, elegantly finished with very nice checkering on the pistol grip and forend. Gives a majestic look, making one think that this is how a top rifle should look like. Recoil pad is about 1.25" and fits the shoulder very well. Bluing is very nicely done and has stayed the course so far. Is going to quite a few years without a problem, I know. All parts, as you can see, are precision machined, with no tooling marks or rough edges whatsoever.

RWS has T05 trigger, not the latest in RWS series of triggers but still a very good one.Trigger pull is 3.5 lbs approximately with no creep or over travel. After one gets a good feel of it, it shoots quite consistently thereafter.

ImageImage
The sights are good. As is the case with all break barrels, both sights are located on the barrel. Front sight is post globe type whereas rear sight is fully adjustable for windage and elevation.
Standard 12mm scope mount is provided on the receiver. I mounted a Hubertus 3-9x32 scope on it and the guns is doing quite well with it. Just to check the gun accuracy and scope performance in low light conditions, I shot a target from 25 M after the sunset. The scope had good light transmission and I could see the bull much brighter with the scope but with naked eye, it was hardly visible. The gun did not shoot that bad in low light and all 20 pallets were within 3", some of them making one big hole........

Diana 35 is quite a safe gun. It has an automatic safety that engages with the breaking of the barrel and blocks the trigger. As you can see, the safety button is placed very conveniently at the end of the receiver and can be easily disengaged by the shooter with the firing hand thumb, while he is aiming.

HUNTING AND RANGE PERFORMANCE:
Diana 35 is not as powerful as Diana 54 Air King or Diana 350 Magnum, however, it is good enough to do the job. At 700-800 ft/sec with different pallets, it is powerful enough to engage small game like doves, pigeons and other such birds up to a distance of 40 M (with scope).
It has been a kid's favourite for hunting doves and other small birds.
Off course, a gun which shoots well is appropriate for training the kids in the art of stalking and shooting from behind the cover

And it has also been kid's favourite gun for plinking and casual target shooting competitions. As you can see, they all look quite serious about it..........

With regards to accuracy, I can safely say that this gun would outshoot many a shooters. If one does his bid well, this gun would keep throwing consistent groups one after the other and will keep doing so for years. Few targets shot with the gun.........

Targets shot from 25 M with a scope. Leaving aside one odd flier, all 20 pallets are within 2" which is quite satisfactory.

A target shot from 30 M with a scope.

Shooting with iron sights from 20 M.

Iron sights, 25 M this time.

BOTTOM LINE:
It's a pleasure to own an RWS. A little on the expensive side, many of these guns would last a life time and fully payback the money spent on them. In air rifles, quality matters and therefore, I would recommend every one to buy a good air gun, once for all. Money saved on cheap airguns is normally wasted. It may be an RWS, a Beeman, a Weihrauch or any such gun but go for a good one if you really want to enjoy airgun shooting. Needless to say, in todays time when the ammo, rifles and rifle ranges cost a lot and have to kept under limits for economic reasons, air rifle is the most appropriate tool to teach rifle shooting basics to the kids (and even to our ownselves), enjoy hunting in the surrounding without creating any alarm and also enjoy casual target shooting matches in your home's lawn. If you have an RWS, it would be a pleasure doing all these things.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: RWS DIANA 35 > Review & Range Report

TGF Expert Panel

very accurate air rifle. nice photography and review KBW sb..

Rifles (of any sort) are still alien to me..

(Great Boxer Muhammad Ali).

Master at Arms

Thanks Saif

Saif wrote:

Now this is where you need to focus; enough piling up of pistols already :mrgreen:

Profile E-mail  

Sharp Shooter

What a beauty!

Wonderful review Sir, as always.

Your bottomline is bang on target and has made me think seriously of buying one not just to teach my kids the basics, but to keep refining my basics. Hence, the hunt begins. :)

Profile E-mail  

Site Admin

I remember being handed over this Diana while I was in QTA last Dec. My first impression and expression was, "Wow! What a beautiful rifle".

I can tell you that the above pictures do not do justice ti the rifle's finishing quality.

Very nice review sir.

Bolt actions speak louder than words

Sometimes adding 175 grains of boat-tailed diplomacy speeds up Peace Talks

Profile E-mail  

@ KBW, sir what a nice review. I am big fan of springers and a Diana in my opinion is simply the best brand in Air Guns. I saw a model 35 quite a while back with Buksh Elahi in Lahore, it was used for just two days. The owner returned it after two days, don't know why. It was a sheer beauty, he asking around Rs 35 k for it.

Profile E-mail  

TGF Expert Panel

KBW wrote:
Thanks Saif

Saif wrote:

Now this is where you need to focus; enough piling up of pistols already :mrgreen:

Sir
Thank you :)

I have a target score in mind, pistol @ 25mtrs (timed), and also at X mtrs (X=?). Need to get there first :)

(Great Boxer Muhammad Ali).

A very nicely written review of an equally nice air rifle! :text-bravo:

You are right sir, in saying that one wishes all his rifle to be of the standard of this RWS. The word "Majestic" is spot on!! Even I kept on gazing the pics and admiring them for quite some time, before writing this post! ;)

I also like the easy arrangement of taking the iron sights off for scope mounting!

Profile E-mail  

Shooter

a very nice and comprehensive review.
what is the current price of diana 35 in LHR/RWP.has anyone ever imported this gun from dubai,what is the approximate price difference in our and dubai market?
well.....i read some where that diana 35 is a too old model and not currently being produced,is it correct???
does any body knows about the price and availability of diana 35 spare parts such as washer and main spring (original) in Pakistan.
if not then,has any body experienced to buy these from dubai,please share price and availability.
Happy shooting :D

Profile E-mail  

Site Admin

hunter468 wrote:
a very nice and comprehensive review.
what is the current price of diana 35 in LHR/RWP.has anyone ever imported this gun from dubai,what is the approximate price difference in our and dubai market?
well.....i read some where that diana 35 is a too old model and not currently being produced,is it correct???
does any body knows about the price and availability of diana 35 spare parts such as washer and main spring (original) in Pakistan.
if not then,has any body experienced to buy these from dubai,please share price and availability.
Happy shooting :D

:text-feedback:

Bolt actions speak louder than words

Sometimes adding 175 grains of boat-tailed diplomacy speeds up Peace Talks

Profile E-mail  

Master at Arms

hunter468 bro, RWS no more manufactures Diana 35. I doubt NIB Diana 35 would be available anywhere but one in good condition would cost you 30-35k. There is not much of difference in 35 and 34 and I think most of the parts should be interchangeable.

Profile E-mail  

Shooter

KBW wrote:
hunter468 bro, RWS no more manufactures Diana 35. I doubt NIB Diana 35 would be available anywhere but one in good condition would cost you 30-35k. There is not much of difference in 35 and 34 and I think most of the parts should be interchangeable.

contacted manufacturer few days back,he said they r manufacturing Diana 35 for asia and middle east market.they r making two models 35 and 35S,both models r same with a slight difference in sights.
regards

Profile E-mail  

Shooter

KBW,sir do me a favour and kindly tell when u bought it,what is the year of manufacture on left rear side of the gun.
is it .177 or .22 caliber?

Profile E-mail  

Master at Arms

hunter468
Its .22 and I bought it around 1 year back from a friend. I think he bought it about 4 years back. The gun is not with me at the moment. I will check the year of manufacture as soon as I get it back and let you know,.

regards

Profile E-mail  

Shooter

@KBW
sir dont u think that .177 also works best for doves,pigeons,even hares (head shots)
i have been using diana since 7 my first 35 was a .177 and i have hunted all above mentioned species without any problem such as injured bird loss .Having said that using diana since 7,i remember that great time when v brothers used to operate the gun collectively.as i was and am healthiest of my 2 elder brothers ;) so the scheme we adopted to load and unload the gun without any problem was as follows
both of my brothers used to grab the gun (with barrel upward) from the stock area and i used to hang with the barrel (after opening it) to load it :lol:

now i am planning to buy new one from dubai through a relative,and need your opinion that for which should i go?
my 35, .177 is with me already having some sight problems,other 35 in .22 is for sale with a dealer in neela gumbad LHR,(it is made in west germany but in good condition i just dont like the stock on it havent used this 22 a lot so dont know its performance)
with .177 i have shot a lot of birds from 15 to 50 meters but need your input about the 22 caliber and expected range for bullet drop due to heavier pallet!

Profile E-mail  

Master at Arms

Hunter468
I saw Diana 34, 350 Mag, 460 Mag, 52 and 54 Airking with Al Sayyad Dubai last month. All are good guns, depends what you want to do with them. If the purpose is hunting alone than I would recommend 460 Mag. Its powerful and being a fixed barrel under lever, is more accurate than 350 Mag which is a break barrel. If the purpose is target shooting than I would recommend 54 Airking. It's a class of its own but due to its weight, may not be very appropriate for hunting. If budget is the concern than 34 will do.

Cant comment about the slug drop at a particular range because no such data is available. At least I have not seen. However, 460 Mag retains quite a lot of terminal velocity at 50 M. Same goes for 54 Airking and 350 Mag.

Best of luck for your purchase. BTW, 34 was around 1450 Dirham and 54 Airking was around 2100.

Profile E-mail  

Shooter

@KBW well budget is a little problem :cry:
and 35 is aroung 1100 or 1150 in uae.
i am looking just to add a beauty in my collection and the main purpose is hunting only.

Profile E-mail  

Shooter

KBW wrote:
Hunter468
BTW, 34 was around 1450

if i my pocket allowed me a little bit i will go for a 350 mag panther (i think with fiber stock and FO sights) @ 1400 or 1450 i dont remember exact.

Profile E-mail  

Master at Arms

hunter468 wrote:
KBW wrote:
Hunter468
BTW, 34 was around 1450

if i my pocket allowed me a little bit i will go for a 350 mag panther (i think with fiber stock and FO sights) @ 1400 or 1450 i dont remember exact.

If I recall correctly, 350 Mag was around 1700 :roll: The price of 460 Mag is a little more but its a far better gun in my view.

Profile E-mail  

Shooter

KBW wrote:
hunter468 wrote:
KBW wrote:
Hunter468
BTW, 34 was around 1450

If I recall correctly, 350 Mag was around 1700 :roll: The price of 460 Mag is a little more but its a far better gun in my view.

i was reported that the 350mag in walnut stock was about 1800,a guy on the other forum bought one in fiber black stock and fiber optic sight @ 1300 or 1400 dont remember exact (it was like a 350mag compact or something like that,dont know the exact name)
and 35 was reported @1100 at alsayad dubai but it was available n 22cal only

dont know about the availability and features of 460,and will not consider to buy one due to high price!

Profile E-mail  

@ hunter468, if I may suggest why don't you look for other options as well. I mean how about Gamo whisper? Available in .177 and .22. A friend bought on from Karachi few days back and has been praising it ever since. Its a good gun, 750 + fps mv. Light weight and very QUIET.

Profile E-mail  

Master at Arms

Gamo makes fine air rifles. However, in my personal view, they are no match to RWS which gives consistent performance year after year and when you grow old, it gives the same service to your children, year after year.

Profile E-mail  

Shooter

+1@KBW
brother is there any restrictions these days for bringing airguns from dubai

the guy i was talking about who bought the 350mag compact,bought it in feb-2011 for exact 1400 uae drms and shared the above mentioned prices for diana 35,350mag,350mag compact i,e 1150,1800 and 1400 respectively!
@six-shooter

sir your opinion is also worth considering,but i am using a diana since 7,in recenr years i have also used a friend`s BSA and GAMO,they r no doubt accurate and reliable guns.
but the looks,finish,quality of diana has no match IMHO !!!
if a diana is kept carefully then it can b used generations after generations with out any problem.
my friend came back few days ago and is going on this 3rd again to dubai,i will order a 34 or 35 may b a 350magnum compact!
regards

Last edited by hunter468 on Wed Aug 31, 2011 3:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

Profile E-mail  

@ hunter468 I checked up with customs authorities a few months back and according to them there is no restriction on carrying an air gun while coming from Dubai. Don't know about the latest situation. +1 to you, a Diana has no match in the Air Gun category.

Profile E-mail  

Shooter

oh,thank u for the help six-shooter sb

Profile E-mail