THE GUN FORUM

THE GUN FORUM

Exclusively for Serious Gun-Enthusiasts and Outdoorsmen

It is currently Wed Feb 21, 2018 4:20 am

All times are UTC + 5 hours

Post subject: Walther LP400 Match AirPistol > Reveiw & Range Report

Sharp Shooter

Walther LP400 Aluminum, Target Air Pistol > Review & Range Report

Carl Walther of Germany is well known for manufacturing top of the line sporting firearms and air rifles/pistols. LP400 is the top Walther model in target air pistol category. Walther LP 400 is a complete match air pistol with many unique and latest functions and has been specifically designed for Olympic / ISSF 10 M Air Pistol Match.

The weight, center of gravity, grip shape, grip size, grip angle and trigger position have been perfectly matched up.Walther has taken grip technology much further. LP 400 has been specially desinged for smaller hands and with its light weight it is ideal for younger and female shooters. Its every part has been a marvel of precision engineering.

Walther LP400 is an expensive air pistol and costs around US $ 1600. With extra accessories like spare cylinder, air pump, spare trigger etc, the price goes to around US $ 2200.

Technical Data

System.......................... Compressed air system 200 bar
Caliber........................... 4.5 mm (.177')
Cylinder......................... Aluminum cylinder with pressure gauge
Capacity........................ 180 shots / cylinder
Maximum energy.............. 7.5 Joules
Grip............................... MEMORY 3D-Waltnut grip
Trigger.......................... Fully adjustable two-stage and dry-firing trigger
Trigger weight................ 500 g
Sights........................... Rear sight continuously adjustable, turnable front
Sight Radius................... 340-400 mm, adjustable by changing the position of rear sights.
Barrel........................... Aluminium barrel jacket
Barrel length.................. 227 mm
Dimensions.................... 410/135/50 (L/H/W mm)
Weight......................... 950 g

Achievements
The Walther LP 400 was the winner of the reddot design award 2011.
Vladimir Isakov scored 684.3 (584 in qualifying + 100.3 out of 100 in finals) and was the Bronze Medal Winner at Athens 2004 Olympics.Even in 2012 London Olympics, we can see many shooter using Walthe LP400.

Accessories
Walther LP400 comes in a plastic case which includes...
    - Walther LP400 pistol
    - SLIMLINE compact Aluminium air cylinder 200 bar (silver)
    - Filling Adapter 200 bar
    - Two Sliding barrel weight of 15 g each
    - Three screw drivers and two L keys of different sizes. Every screw in the pistol can be opened with these.
    - A box of quick cleaning pallets containing 100 pallets
    - Test target, signed and stamped.
    - Warranty Card
    - User Manual

In addition to this, extra accessories like sprare cylinder, air pum, spare grip, spare trigger and sights etc are avaialble on line.

Special Features
Here are few special feature that LP400 has got.
:arrow: MICRO-Compressed-Air-System (200 bar)
:arrow: EQUALIZER magnetic absorber system
:arrow: Pressure reducer with QUICKCLEAN air filter
:arrow: RESORBER compensator system (two-phase air dissipation)
:arrow: ECO valve technology:

-Minimal opening pulse
-Reduced shot development time
:arrow: 3D grip adjustment with MEMORY effect
:arrow: Infinitely adjustable rear sight width and depth, turnable front sight
:arrow: Ball bearing-mounted VARIO trigger with maximum setting possibilities

System
LP400 uses Micro Compressed Air-System technology.
Cylinder
It has Slimline aluminium cylinder with pressure gauge which has a capacity of 180 shots/cylinder at an energy of 7.5 joules. The Slimline aluminium cylinder has an Equalizer magnet absorber system which reduces the air consumption. That means around 180 shots are still possible even with a reduced 200 bar cylinder capacity.It has a QuickClean air filter system which cleans the air and provides the system with lasting protection from fouling. It also has a Resorber Compensator system which dissipates the gas in two ways:
Phase 1:
The compressed air
is diverted into the barrel jacket.
Phase 2:
The remaining air is dissipated to
the outside.
The cylinder comes with a signed warranty card and if anything happens to the cylinder within 10 years, it will be replaced by Carl Walther.

Grips
Walther LP400 has a fully adjustable walnut grips with finger curves and hand rest. Grips are available in medium and large sizes and also for right and left hand. Spare grips cost around 250 $.

Its grip has a 3D adjustment which allows individualized setting and grip can be adjusted in all three dimensions. It also has a Memory effect system which allows the personalized setting to be preserved even if the grip is taken apart.

I have adjusted the grips as per my hand size and now, the gun fits perfectly in my hand. I can keep the gun well balanced while shooting with single hand.

Sights
LP400 has a triangle shaped turn-able front sight having three sides of 3.8,4.4 and 4.7 mm wide. Shooter can adjust the front sight tip width as per his liking.
Its front and rear sights can be slid to any position in the longitudinal direction. This allows a shooter to adjust the sighting radius from 340-400 mm, depending on the liking of the shooter.
Its flat and variable ­length line of sight reduces the risk of aiming errors. Its infinitely adjustable rear sight can be individually set to any size. Even the size of the rear sight notch is fully adjustable and can be increased / decresed as per shooter's choice. The rear view of the sight has no edges to distract the eye while aiming.
The adjustment clicks are very precise. Each click of elevation and windage secrews of rear sight moves the POA by one mm at a distance of 10 M.

Trigger
LP 400 comes with a two stage trigger. The Trigger is set at the factory to the optimal setting as per ISSF rules. However, it has a wide range of adjustment possibilities. It works on two modes, firing mode and training mode. In dry firing (training) mode the air and pellet (if inserted) is not released, whereas a tick sound is heard when the trigger is pressed. Trigger weight remain same in dry firing mode as in firing mode.
The ECO valve technology in it allows minimum opening pulse which prevents shaking. This technology has reduced shot development time by the flow ­optimized air supply, hence fewer errors are made.

Perfomance

A Test target shot by this gun.

Schussbild = Shot image
waffennummer = weapon-number
schütze = Scorer/Shooter
The test target has been shot from machine rest from 10 M and all five pallets have passed through the same hole. This shows that pistol is extremely accurate.

These targets have been shot from rest with single hand to check the best suited ammo for this pistol. We used differet brand pallets as shown in the front of pic below

These were the results...
ImageImageImageImage
As per these test and also as per my experience during range sessions, RWS R10 match are the best pellets for this air pistol. You would have also seen that most of the shooters in London Olympics were shooting RWS R10 Match pallets.

I am still trying to improve my shooting with single hand and my standard is so far very poor. These are some of the target shot by me from 10 M with single hand.

ImageImage

This target was shot by KBW.....

I am still learning how to shoot with this pistol. I hope that with more practice, I will be able to bring my score to 9.2-9.5 per shot which is the requirement to compete at national level.

Other Models/Variants
There are many variants of LP400 which have been manufactured as per shooter's requirements.

I am very happy with my air pistol and hope to improve my shooting standards. One advantage of air pistol is that I can shoot in my home. I hope with this practice with single hand I will also improve my shooting of .22 LR and 9mm pistols with single hand from 25 M.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Walther LP400 Match AirPistol > Reveiw & Range Report

Sharp Shooter

Great review!!
Hope to see you competing at National level soon IA.

Profile E-mail  

Sniper

@Haider95
Excellent review brother and keep it up. The pics are very professionally taken. Have you taken the pics yourself or some else do for you. Just keep practicing and hardwork will pay, inshallah. What is price and availability of this gun in Pakistan?

Profile E-mail  

Master at Arms

Haider
I see that your review writing skills are improving and so is your photography. This skill will help you in your studies also. Good job.

Profile E-mail  

TGF Expert Panel

Very detailed and elaborate review. well done Haider.
The gun sure looks a fine engineering specimen.

(Great Boxer Muhammad Ali).

Master at Arms

Excellent photos and expertly reviewed. Good job Haider. Hope you'll compete and win at national level soon.

Profile E-mail  

A very excellently written review Haider! Your review writing and photography skills have improved by far!! :text-bravo:

I didn't understand most of the technology mentioned by you above, but would like to ask about its trigger ... it says "Fully adjustable two-stage and dry-firing trigger"! Is it some sort of electronic trigger, can you tell us how it dry fires??

Profile E-mail  

Sniper

Dear haider,

You review is a very detailed one.simply marvelous.have never seen a such detailed review

And Insha ALLAH one day you will become a world champion.

Sniper

@Haider95
Read the review again and enjoyed it very much. What is the size of target in 10 m airpistol? Also how do you refill the air in the cylinder?

Profile E-mail  

Sharp Shooter

Thanks every one for the kind comments and Ameen :pray:

@MR

No..Its not an electronic trigger, its a simple two stage trigger.

In the above picture the object encircled is a dry firing slide. It can be moved from left to right position by simply pushing it. If the slide is at right position it is in Dry firing mode. In this mode when the trigger is pulled the air is not consumed (the pellet remains at its position, if loaded).
The manual says :
" By pressing the slide to the right , the travel of the spring piece is limited when the trigger is released, so that the valve is not operated. This permits genuine dry-firing training ".

Profile E-mail  

Sniper

MythBuster wrote:
@Haider95
Read the review again and enjoyed it very much. What is the size of target in 10 m airpistol? Also how do you refill the air in the cylinder?
Any info on this brother :)

Profile E-mail  

Sharp Shooter

@MB
The target is 17 by 17 cm (6.7 by 6.7 in) and the bull is 11.5 mm, whereas the inner bull and the pellet (4.48 mm up to 4.51 mm) has about the same size.

The air is filled with an electric air pump.

Profile E-mail  

Sniper

Thanks for info Haider95. What about price and availability?

Profile E-mail  

Standard Shot

@Haider95
Excellent review. This looks like a very fine air pistol and the advantage I see is that I can practice at my home. This is a big advantage as going to shooting range is quite a hassel and requires lot of effort and coordination.

Any idea about the availability of this or any other similar air pistol in Pakistan? If any member has information on this please share.
regards

Profile E-mail  

Sharp Shooter

@ Glock19
Another Big advantage is that one can strengthen up his/her shooting basics at their home. This will improve their bigger bore shooting.

MythBuster wrote:
. What about price and availability?

Glock19 wrote:
Any idea about the availability of this or any other similar air pistol in Pakistan? If any member has information on this please share.

KBW can tell better about this.

Profile E-mail  

Master at Arms

Walther LP400 would cost around 185-200 k, may be a little more as dollar prices have increased. As per my information, few were available with Baksh Elahi Lahore and Badaruddin & Sons Rawalpindi last month but I am not sure about their availability now. Some time back, a few Steyr LP9 were also available with Baksh Elahi Lahore. Needs to be checked.

Profile E-mail  

TGF Expert Panel

By the grace of God young Haider has done an excellent evaluation of the Walther Air Pistol, it is candid and objective.
The photography is also fair and if he can put up such a quality write up at this young age he will God willing do much better in later years.

Profile E-mail  

Sharp Shooter

Thankyou Sir :)

Can you see my targets in Members Range Session and guide me to improve my shooting?
:text-thankyouyellow:

Profile E-mail  

Site Admin

This is one of the best reviews I've ever read by such a young reviewer. Bravo Haider. Well Done! :)

Bolt actions speak louder than words

Sometimes adding 175 grains of boat-tailed diplomacy speeds up Peace Talks

Profile E-mail  

Marksman

Well written review bro :text-bravo: .

Profile E-mail  

Marksman

Good review Haider :text-bravo:

Profile E-mail  

TGF Expert Panel

Haider95 wrote:
Thankyou Sir :)

Can you see my targets in Members Range Session and guide me to improve my shooting?
:text-thankyouyellow:

Train only on a day you want to shoot. You must build concentration and avoid HOLDING TOO LONG, lower your hand without firing once you take more than 7 seconds. Keep your thoughts focused on the basics.
Have your eyes tested every year. wear same comfortable shoes and develop a pattern of holding your gun, raising it firing it and lowering the hand.
You must practice holding the gun in firing position for long periods daily to build endurance and focus eye on the front sight. Do this for an hour every day.
Don't waste pellets on shooting without concentration and a fire burning to shoot with max performance in your heart.
I have found that without a mission or a competition in sight do not practice as this develops a casual attitude and one develops mistakes.
With the Nationals coming starting 21st October make a daily chart and you must train shooting Once a day only and shoot as per exactly the match rules and shoot at least 40 training matches as about 50 + days are left. Running and swimming are essential.
Best of Luck.

Profile E-mail  

Sharp Shooter

Thanks everyone
Ghazi wrote:
Train only on a day.................................and swimming are essential.
Best of Luck.

Thankyou very much for the tips.

Profile E-mail  

Sharp Shooter

the greek wrote:
Subject: Walther LP400 Match AirPistol > Reveiw & Range Report

Haider95 wrote:
@MB
The target is 17 by 17 cm (6.7 by 6.7 in) and the bull is 11.5 mm, whereas the inner bull and the pellet (4.48 mm up to 4.51 mm) has about the same size.

The air is filled with an electric air pump.

what do you mean 'electric air pump'? i havent seen something like that. can you please send me a photo of it? by teh way i also have a lp400. great gun.

@the greek
Welcome to TGF sir. :greetings-waveyellow:
Its good to know that you also have a LP400, its a great gun indeed and a pleasure to shoot. By electric pump I mean a compressor pump operated by an electric motor. I am yet to buy a hand pump for my airpistol.
Please do share your airpistol targets in the members range sessions.
regards

Profile E-mail  

Rifleman

good pistol and look a like Steyr LP10...but expensive

Profile E-mail