THE GUN FORUM

THE GUN FORUM

Exclusively for Serious Gun-Enthusiasts and Outdoorsmen

It is currently Wed Feb 21, 2018 4:19 am

All times are UTC + 5 hours

Post subject: RAINBOW 35 (Made in Sargodha) > Review & Range Report

Rainbow Model 35 - Air Rifle from Sargodha

INTRODUCTION
I came to know about this brand after I saw it with an acquaintance in Sargodha. Without asking too much about its performance I quickly ordered mine! The reason behind the quickness was of course the Stock. It was simply beautiful, and I wanted one for myself too!
The Rainbow Model 35 is available from Sargodha for around Rs. 4,000/- to 4,500/- brand new.

SPECS

Monte Carlo Stock Design
Break Barrel
Single stage (very hard) trigger (4.5 lbs, AFTER changing the spring!)
No Safeties
Metal sights
-Rear - Adjustable for elevation
-Front – Adjustable for windage
Weight - 3.5 kgs (7.7 lbs)
Cocking Effort - 24 lbs
Length Total 44.25" or 112.4cm
Length of Barrel 19.2" or 48.7 cm

Note: Some of the above specifications have been measured (by me), and may not be standard on all Rainbow 35 Air Rifles!

LOOKS

The only thing worth the looks is its stock. It has been made, stained and polished beautifully.

SIGHTS

I’m not very happy with the quality of the sights fitted on this air rifle. While I may overlook the quality of the front sight, the rear sight is total disappointment. It does not have a click indicator, just numbers on it. The main screw tends to rotate all by itself when the gun is fired a couple of times, hence losing its elevation zero!

SCOPE OPTION

It has rails cut for 11mm scope mounts. I tried a Chinese scope with it, but it did not hold zero, after every 100 or so rounds, it started to drift! I don’t recommend mounting a scope on it, but if you really want to, mount a scope specifically designed for the air rifles, i.e, able to take the double recoil.

GRIP, STOCK AND BALANCE

The Rainbow 35 is 7.7 lbs heavy. Not a very comfortable weight, but it feels fine! No checkering on the grip (which might change in future ;) ), it has a raised comb, monte carlo stock, but the butt pad sucks!

MANUFACTURING QUALITY AND FINISHING

I would not grade this rifle to be of good finish. To start with, the bluing started to rust within two weeks of delivery! It was only when I coated it with thin silicon oil that the rusting stopped (or at least slowed down). The screws used tend to loosen with a couple of hundred rounds. The sling swivels and their fastening could have been better. Same is the case with the trigger guard. All in all, a so-so finish.

TRIGGER AND SAFETY

It does not have any kind of safety and its trigger is a single stage (sear part of trigger) ingeniously (or by poor design), gives the feel of a two stage trigger!

The weakest part of this air rifle is its trigger. It has play in all the directions. It wobbles left and right besides the play along the bore axis! Don’t get me started on its creep ... I did change the spring to make it somewhat smoother. It got better 40% ;)

The one below is the spring that came with the rifle. I changed it with the one on the top!

The new spring in place.

COCKING EFFORT

Cocking effort is just 24 lbs. It has knurling at the front end of the barrel for better grip and avoid slips, which is also good and bad. Good that it does the job intended of it, and bad because the oils and sweat makes it the best spot for rusting! A thorough cleaning and application of silicon oil after session is most important.

RECOIL

It has a reasonable recoil for the power it produces, which is not that much, IMO!
Also, did I mention the Recoil Pad Sucks big time! (will be changing that too, soon ;) )

ACCURACY

I hear that every spring rifle has to be broken-in to some extent, in the tunes of up to 1,000 shots before they have completely settled down and are ready for serious work. In my experience with this air gun is, that at 1000 mark, it will start to show signs of fatigue. Like the screws getting lose, and play in the trigger etc. Anyways, nothing serious and nothing I can’t fix myself! ;)

I mainly used two types of pellets, a Pakistani “Shaheen” brand, which came with the rifle and was just rubbish. The other were the Iranian Yellow box pellets. They were reasonably accurate.

Later I used Gamo Match and another German Brand and Afghani pellets, without seeing much of a difference in the accuracy department.

It has been an uphill downhill ride as far as accuracy is concerned. In Petaro it was shooting low ...

In Skardu, it suddenly started shooting higher, probably due to sub-zero temps

Sometimes it shot like these ...

And sometimes it will surprise everyone with targets like these ...

MAINTENANCE
Not much to do here. I think it needs more of gunsmithing than maintenance!! ;)
But do keep it clean from the outside to avoid early rusting! :D

RELIABILITY

It shoots every time you pull the trigger! Not much to say about that, but reliability of parts is another issue. I have crossed the 1000 pellets mark, and have already changed the trigger spring, and am planning to re-do the trigger sear!

CONCLUSION

If you are looking for something fancy, look somewhere else. If you are looking for something accurate, also, look somewhere else. But if you are looking for a casual weekend plinker, and maybe a casual dove hunt, then you need not look anywhere else!

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Review & Range Report - Rainbow 35 Airgun made in Sargod

Okay guys, the review pending for more than a year has finally been completed!!

Enjoy, and comment! :D

Profile E-mail  

Master at Arms

A very candid review carrying real practical experience. :text-bravo:

I also bought this airgun few years back but gifted it to someone. As MR mentioned, it's full of disappointments if you are a serious shooter and looking for accuracy / consistent performance. However, I think with a little bit more effort and care, the manufacturer can make something better out of it. In present stage, it's not worth spending 4-5 k.

Thanks again for the effort MR.

Profile E-mail  

Master at Arms

Thanks for the effort MR. Nice and detailed review.
I also own one but I think I got a lemon. It has almost no power and it absolutely can't kill a dove at 10m even. Recoil is is more than expected and it is heavy.
Not a bad value at 4k including shipping. It does for what i ordered one!! Kill lizards effectively :)

Profile E-mail  

Thanks KBW and Shariq!

@ KBW:
Agreed fully! I will be doing some work on its looks and performance! It might turn out to be a good Air-GunSmithing project! ;)
@ Shariq:
You maybe right about it being a lemon. But as you say the recoil is more than expected, without the power, I'm guessing your Piston Sealing has gone bad, or was bad to begin with! Why don't you take to a gunsmith to have the sealing changed and see the results?!?

Profile E-mail  

Master at Arms

Will Do Sir.

Profile E-mail  

Site Admin

To the point, candid and detailed review MR.

Thanks. :)

So, what do you plan to do with it now?

Bolt actions speak louder than words

Sometimes adding 175 grains of boat-tailed diplomacy speeds up Peace Talks

Profile E-mail  

I'm planning for some Stock work, then work on sights and trigger, and then maybe the main spring and seal!! maybe :twisted:

Profile E-mail  

Sharp Shooter

This is a great review. You can use this air rifle for experimenting and learning gunsmithing of air rifles.

Profile E-mail  

Thanks MR you kept your word this time. What can I say,a good review about a bad rifle. The stock looks really good. I wonder how they give it such a nice look. I think this guy has been making air guns for a lot of time, but what surprises me is why he hasn't improved its quality? I understand its difficult to make alloys of some sort, but what about rear sights? Is that rocket science too?
Anyways thanks for telling everyone to stay away form this junk.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: RAINBOW 35 (Made in Sargodha) > Review & Range Report

@ 22lr:
Thanks bro, and yes will use it to the fullest for experimenting and learning airgun-smithing! ;)

@ SS:
Thanks sir, it was way past high time, that the review was posted (been delaying it for almost a year now!).

I think it has become my hallmark to write good reviews of bad guns. BUT, it is not like that. I always buy the budget stuff, and in that budget you always get what you pay for! and that's the punch line! Same was the case with the Mir Alam Shotgun review, and the CF98 review. They're just candid, unbiased reviews of budget (or cheap, if you may) guns, not bad ones! ;)

Profile E-mail  

TGF Managing Committee

From hearsay I heard that good quality airguns are being manufactured in Sargodha and keeping national spirits high I was thinking about getting one, oh and it fits budget quite adequately but your review has changed my mind.

maybe the good quality sargodha airgun that I heard of is being manufactured by another gunsmith :roll:

were all of those bench shots and the only difference was of different geographical location, when we go underwater the atmospehric pressure changes rapidly and the first to feel effect is air in thin ear tubes and we have to equalise it as we go deeper, maybe the difference in shooting was played by the atmospheric pressure at these two different places on very light pellets.

thanks for the review

Profile E-mail  

You maybe right isk! The atmospheric pressure might have played the part.

But why did you change your mind about buying it. It is a "fun gun", and that is exactly how it should be graded. If you want a serious air rifle, then go for the foreign made ones. It will perform approx the same as the Chinese ones available in the market, you can go for that (for a slight raise in price).

I would want to work on its trigger and rear sight though, that's all!! ;)

Profile E-mail